8th Life Panama is a Collaborative Work-Life Initiative forming an Intentional Community in the mountains of Anton, Panama. Our guest house, Villa Astoria, serves as our center of operations and lodging while we develop a 21 hectare (52 acre) permaculture project just 10Km away in the community of Las Guabas Arriba. 8th Life Panama is supported by the 8thLife EcoVillage project in the Canary Islands and the Spanish NGO, Gaia Tasiri.
We offer you a unique opportunity to design your future in a healthy and supportive environment. Astoria Guest House provides comfortable living space while we co-create the permaculture based intentional community on our 21Ha Finca. This is a "ground-floor" opportunity. Are you ready to join us?
it's time to transition from a destructive society to a sustainable world.
the western border of our land.
The Initiative has two physical components, Astoria Guest House - the operations center, & The Finca - 21Ha (52 acres) of land for developing the Eco-Community. We envision the initiative incorporating a number of elements such as:
- intentional community eco-village based on integral permaculture design principles (on The Finca)
- eco-enterprise incubator, shared workspace for eco-community members & volunteers (at Astoria Guest House)
- artisan & craftspeople's incubator, shared workspace, & storefront for eco-community members and local residents
- promoting and strengthening the local economy of Las Guabas Arriba and Anton through example
- training/workshops in eco-economics, the circular economy, 'buy local', and local economic development
- community gardens and local produce and artisan markets
- permaculture courses and other practical, hands-on learning experiences such as eco-building
This is a unique opportunity. See more in the The Project page
We believe that the most important and urgent
- stopping the destruction,
- working to build soil,
- restoring ecosystems,
- healing our addictions,
- changing organizational structures of the global economy,
- & learning to live in community
See more in The Reason page
Looking east towards the creek that forms the eastern border of the property.
The car you can see in the distance is on the other side of the creek.
- 21Ha in Las Guabas Arriba, Anton, Panama
- Our first priority will be to increase fertility, vegetation, and biodiversity on the land
- Part of this important work will be reforestation and capturing water, which will be among the first designs needed
- 2.5 hours from Panama City to the property
half an hour from the town of Antón
- Bordered by a seasonal creek and a year-round river
- Accessible by public transport and a 10 minute walk
- Dirt road leads to the stream, then passes through The Finca
- No electricity or running water - it's not been inhabited in recent centuries - opportunity to generate what we need
- Varied topography and soil - ideal for multiple uses
- Topography with potential for capturing water
- Climate and location ideal for generating electricity with micro-hydro, wind and/or solar systems
- Cellular phone signal - need to figure out optimum spots
- Impressive views
With the right techniques, well-thought-out designs, and tons of observation and care, amazing results can be obtained - the following photos are an example of increased fertility, biodiversity and vegetation.
To the left, just a few months after construction ended. We started learning to work with the land in small spaces.
And below, how the same garden looked some 18 months later.
The tallest banana tree is the 'grandchild' of the first one we had - so it's the 3rd generation and the 2 small banana trees in front are a dwarf variety of just around 6 months. (Since this photo was posted, both of these have given fruit and the next generation is now growing.) We have full ground cover, herbs, medicinal plants, vegetables, fruits and ornamental plants. This garden is one of the founders first designs and it demonstrates what can be achieved.
I currently hold a consulting job, run the guest house and am spearheading this initiative. Thankfully, I am supported by an advisory council here in Panama, consisting of local people who I've known and worked with for years on a number of different projects.
Born in Cuba in 1992, he lived there long enough to be deeply influenced by the rural extended family environment, before being taken at age 6 to live in the middle of a typical big city in Tenerife, as his family returned to their Canarian origins. There he assiduously studied all he could about natural systems in order "to try to keep sane"
At 19 he became the youngest investor & founder member of the 8thLife Ecovillage project where he is now the 'resident health guru' and IT/systems expert, among other things.
We receive casual visitors at Astoria Guest House & are slowly transitioning from a traditional short-stay guest house to a shared living and work space. We will be holding combined online and in-person Permaculture Design Certificate (PDC) courses. We will be hosting volunteers to support the design. We welcome anyone who wants to share this exciting and challenging adventure of transitioning towards a life more coherent with our values. The WHEN is up to you!
"There is one, and only one, solution, and we have almost no time to try it. We must turn all our resources
- Bill Mollison
We are creating an EcoVillage in solidarity with citizen's movements all over the world that are becoming more conscious of the predatory nature of the system that most of us 'civilized' humans now live in.
It is up to us to change it.